Who would ever think grilled apples would be so delicious? Yes, I promise you read correctly! One of our favorite fall and winter dishes is pork and apples, but I refused to wait that long. So, I do what I do best and re-invented the dish to give it a more summer like feel. Rather than baking the pork and apples, I marinated the pork and started thinking about ideas on how to keep the apples fresh, crunchy, and delicious to make grilled apples. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it turned out! Next time I make these, I'm going to try to make a caramel sauce to go with these crunch yet soft and sweet grilled apples!
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Lemon Juice - 1/4 cup
- Apples - 2, your choice, peeled, sliced, and cored
- Unsalted Butter - 1 to 2 tablespoons, melted
- For the Topping
- Dark Brown Sugar - 1 tablespoon
- Granulated Sugar - 2 tablespoons
- Cinnamon - 1 teaspoon
- Cloves - 1/2 teaspoon
- Place the apple rings in a deep bowl and pour the water and lemon juice directly on top. The lemon juice will help keep your apples from going bad.
- In a sugar shaker or small bowl, combine the sugars, cloves and cinnamon.
- Remove the apples from the water and lemon juice mixture to pat them dry before grilling.
- Brush the apple with the melted butter.
- Grill for 3-5 minutes on each side.
- As soon as you get them off of the grill, sprinkle the cinnamon sugar topping on top of the hot apples. It will slowly start to caramelize.
I know grilled apples isn't something you'd think to serve at a traditional cookout, but you should at least give this recipe a try! I love anything on the grill and had never thought about grilling them before, but we will be making these every time we fire up the grill this summer! I can't wait for our next dinner party, I'm excited to see how everyone else likes these grilled apples!