Grilled squash and zucchini is a wonderful side dish to nearly any meal, not only because it tastes great, but because it’s healthy, too. Since these are in season right now, you should be able to get them from the grocery store for around $1.00 a pound. If possible, go to a local farmer’s market or produce stand, as this will ensure even fresher ingredients to work with.
Grilled Squash and Zucchini
Grilled Squash and Zucchini Ingredients
- yellow summer squash, washed, dried, and sliced
- zucchini, washed, dried, and sliced
- Grape seed Oil, or some other oil with a high smoke point
- Black Pepper
- Other seasonings of your choice
Grilled Squash and Zucchini Directions
- Once you’ve washed, dried, and sliced the squash and zucchini, rub the slices down with the oil of your choice. We used a combination of lime and jalapeño oil, purchased from our local Oil & Vinegar store, as this added a bit of extra flavor to the vegetables. If you don’t have any grape seed oil on hand, you can use anything you have that has a higher smoke point. Lower smoke point oils have a tendency to taste bitter if they are cooked too high for too long. The fats from these oils are healthy fats, but if you are concerned about diet, you can use a “fat free” cooking spray to help the spices stick.
- Sprinkle the salt, black pepper, garlic, and other seasonings of your choice on each slice.
- If you have a grill basket, place the squash and zucchini inside, and grill for a few minutes. If you do not have a grill basket, make a pouch with aluminum foil and place directly on the grill, over low heat, or in a place where flame will not scorch it. Watch closely, as grilling times will vary based on the type of grill you’re using, and the thickness of the vegetables. Grilling too long can lead to soggy vegetables.
- Check the vegetables periodically for doneness. If you want grill marks, place them directly on the grill for a minute or two.
- Remove from grill and allow to cool.
It’s quick, easy, and a yummy side dish for burgers, or an addition to salad. The great thing about grilled squash and zucchini is you can customize the flavors to your liking, so you can make it work with whatever you’re having.