A couple of weeks ago, I wanted to try homemade pesto sauce. I remember trying it as a kid and hating it, but I saw it on The Chew and had to give it a shot again. We had some Italian sausage, some marinara, and some french bread, so we decided to turn it into an Italian Burger meal. It was delicious! Not a healthy meal, necessarily, but hey, at least we got some veggies, garlic, herbs, and dairy in there, right?
Italian Burger Ingredients
- 1 lb Italian sausage, shaped into patties, or store-bought pre-made patties. If you buy a pound and patty it yourself, you’re looking to serve four. If you get the box, you’ll likely have six.
- 1 jar of your favorite store bought marinara sauce, or some of your best homemade sauce.
- Pesto sauce, either homemade, or store bought. Our recipe made more than enough to top four burgers.
- 1 cup shredded Italian Cheese blend, or slices of your favorite Italian cheese (we recommend Mozzarella or Provolone)
- French bread cut into slices to use as buns, or your favorite burger bun
Italian Burger Directions
- Grill sausage patties until thoroughly cooked through, at least until their internal temperature reaches 165*F.
- Make pesto using your food processor.
- Warm marinara on stove top.
- If you love garlic, or decided to leave it out of the pesto, you could put a thin layer of garlic butter on your buns to turn them into garlic bread.
- Make your Italian burger by placing cheese on patty, topping with pesto and marinara.
This makes a hefty burger, so it also works well as an open face sandwich. It’s an excellent alternative to pasta when you want Italian flavor but you’re tired of spaghetti.