It's National Sugar Cookie Day! There are so many different things that you can do with sugar cookies, especially when you make homemade sugar cookies. You can make cut out cookies and decorate them, frost them or just eat them plain!
I've never been a big fan of sugar or shortbread style cookies but my husband absolutely loves big huge homemade sugar cookies with M & M's in them. I made them for him when we were dating and it's still one of his favorite things that I bake!
I think I have finally perfected the recipe and what better day than National Sugar Cookie Day to share it with you! It's really easy to make and my 5 year old loves getting in the kitchen to help me make these homemade sugar cookies!
- Unsalted Butter - 1 1/2 sticks, softened
- Granulated Sugar - 2 cups
- Jumbo Eggs - 4
- Vanilla Extract - 1 teaspoon
- All Purpose Flour - 4 to 5 cups
- Baking Powder - 2 teaspoons
- Salt - 1 1/4 teaspoons
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cream the 1 1/2 sticks of softened butter and 2 cups of sugar.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time. This step is more important than most people think!
- Beat in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl sift 4 1/2 cups of all purpose flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, and 1 1/4 teaspoons of salt.
- Slowly fold in dry ingredients, I do mine in increments of four. If mixture seems to wet you can add up to 1/2 of a cup of all purpose flour.
- Knead into a loaf shape and place in a bread pan.
- Cover and let chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour and no longer than 24 hours.
- Once the dough has chilled, you can either roll out shapes or knead in M & M's or even Reese's pieces!
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Let cool for at least 5-10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Sit back and enjoy the fact that their actually is a National Sugar Cookie Day with this delicious homemade sugar cookie recipe!