I love baked mac n cheese, so much that I refuse to eat the boxed stuff if I can help it. If you haven’t already noticed because of our BBQ Bacon Meatloaf, we have a tendency to add bacon wherever possible. This recipe is a simple baked mac in cheese with bacon, that uses two cheeses, but you can add more.
Baked Mac N Cheese
Baked Mac N Cheese Ingredients
- 1 lb beef, turkey, or pork bacon (beef has so far been the yummiest in my opinion)
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teas. nutmeg
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups Gouda cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cheese to melt on top of dish.
Baked Mac N Cheese Directions
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Bring a large pot of water with tablespoon of olive oil to a boil.
- Add macaroni and cook approx. 8 minutes until al dente. Drain, but do not rinse. The left over starch will help the cheese sauce stick.
- Pan fry bacon in a skillet, reserving some of the bacon grease to make your rue. Set bacon aside.
- Saute garlic and onion. Set aside.
- Add flour to bacon grease, and cook until “blonde” in color.
- Add milk.
- Stir in cheese.
- Cook over low heat until cheese is melted.
- Add bacon, garlic, onion, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Beat eggs in a small bowl.
- Temper eggs into cheese sauce. This will stop the eggs from scrambling, and you won’t end up with a layer of egg throughout the finished dish.
- Pour mixture into 13” x 9” baking dish, and mix with pasta.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Spread additional cheese mixture on top and bake for 5 more minutes or until cheese has browned.
- Let cool for 20 minutes before serving.
This baked mac n cheese is a great dinner in and of itself, but if you want a little something more, add in some peas before or after you bake it.