In a recent issue of Food Network Magazine, we found a Thai Chicken Soup recipe we were dying to try, and we finally got around to it. When we were in Florida for the MasterChef audition, we checked out a little Asian store and carried Green Curry paste home with us. We trekked across town to our very own Oriental store and purchased the rice noodles and fish oil for this recipe. Everything else we either had on hand, or were able to get from the local grocery store. This recipe is very yummy! Even our seven year old gobbled it up! For this recipe, you will need 15 minutes prep time and 15 minutes cook time, so it’s a great 30 minute meal. This recipe says it serves four, but we fed 5 people with it, with two bowls full each, so I suppose the servings are very large. Don’t let the idea of fish sauce scare you because this recipe does not taste fishy at all. I can’t stand fish myself, and would eat this soup every day if I could.
Thai Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 thinly sliced onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons green curry paste (available from your local Asian food store or in your international foods section)
- 6 cups chicken broth, low sodium (fish sauce is also in the recipe, which is high in salty flavor, so if you don’t go low sodium, you’re not only going to get too much but you could ruin the flavor of the soup)
- 1 can of coconut milk, 15 ounces (available from your local Asian food store or in your international foods section)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (more or less to taste, add a little at a time. This is also available from your local Asian food store or in your international foods section)
- 2 thinly sliced red bell peppers
- 4 ounces rice noodles, broken into pieces (available from your local Asian food store or in your international foods section)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced thin and crosswise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, (more or less to taste)
- 1 cup roughly chopped cilantro leaves
- Heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan, add the onion and cook until soft, or approximately 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and curry paste, stirring and cooking an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, fish sauce and coconut milk.
- Cover, bring to boil.
- Add the rice noodles and peppers, cooking uncovered until the noodles are al dente, or approximately 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken, and cook until cooked through, or approximately 3 more minutes.
- Add in lime juice and cilantro, stir and serve.
- Add more lime juice and fish sauce if desired.
Per serving: Calories 561; Fat 30 g (Saturated 22 g); Cholesterol 103 mg; Sodium 821 mg; Carbohydrate 36 g; Fiber 4 g; Protein 38 g
Recipe Courtesy of Food Network: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/thai-chicken-soup-recipe/index.html