My boys don’t go for leftovers much, heck they don’t even like eating the same thing more than once per week, but this week – THIS WEEK – there was a triple encore for my turkey burgers! Yes, that’s right. We had turkey burgers thrice. It was awesome on so many levels. This is why:
- I only had to make one big batch of turkey burger meat
- Turkey is so much better for you than regular beef burgers
- Burgers are so easy and quick to make
- I love cheese burgers!!
- My turkey burgers ROCK!
I love turkey burgers because turkey meat absorbs seasoning so much better and faster than regular beef burgers and are so much more flavorful and moist. Plus, it’s a lot cheaper to make burgers from scratch and you have control over what’s going into your meat. Know what I mean? No pink slime here! No sir. Not for my kiddos. So here’s my super quick-and-easy-cheesy turkey burger recipe. It serves 4 people that usually get seconds or it serves 8 burgers to 8 people or 4 people today and tomorrow. You choose, but either way enjoy and may you experience turkey cheese burger nirvana as we have!
Easy Cheesey Turkey Burgers Recipe
- Recipe type: Easy Cheesy Turkey Burgers
- Serves: 8
- 3 lbs of ground turkey meat
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 sliced red onion
- 3-4 Roma tomatoes sliced
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- pinch of ground black pepper
- cheese of your choice (I like American for my burgers)
- hamburger buns
- Add the ground turkey meat to a large bowl.
- Add the thyme, white pepper, black pepper, garlic, sea salt, ground black pepper, coriander, egg and breadcrumbs to the meat and use your hands to incorporate it through out.
- Form 6 ounce patties and set aside.
- Bring a non-stick pan to medium heat.
- Sprinkle drops of water in the pan to hear a sizzle as an indicator the pan is nice and ready.
- Add the turkey burgers and sear on one side for 3 minutes.
- Flip the burgers and sear the other side.
- Burgers should be cooked through with an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees. Digital thermometers are the most convenient way of ensuring your burgers are cooked thoroughly. Mine took about 10-12 minutes in all.
- Add a slice of cheese to cover each turkey burger.
- After the cheese has melted, remove them from pan and let them rest.
- While they are resting I like to put the hamburger buns in the pan and toast them a bit.
- Add mayonnaise to the hamburger buns.
- Add a slice of cheese to the bottom bread.
- Add the turkey burger on top.
- Add ketchup/mustard on top of burger.
- Layer a large tomato on top of the ketchup/mustard.
- On top of the tomato add the red onion slice.
- Then add your lettuce.
- Finally, add the pickles and the top hamburger bun to crown your hamburger!