Every now and then I come across a dreamy recipe that puts me on cloud 9. But wait, this one was literally a recipe filled with clouds-egg white, fluffy, clouds.
Ok, picture fluffy, egg whites, whipped to white, majestic peaks and speckled with green onion, Canadian bacon and then a perfectly gooey soft-baked egg yolk right in the middle?
Yes, now you see what I mean! I whipped these up for a quick, light lunch and after I was done just staring at how pretty they came out, I went in.
- PREP TIME 10 mins
- COOK TIME 6 mins
- TOTAL TIME 16 mins
- Recipe type: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- Serves: 4
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly-grated preferably
- ¼ cup chives, chopped
- ¼ cup of Canadian bacon, diced
- Separate the egg yolks and whites
- Put the egg whites in one large metal bowl and the yolks in 4 separate bowls
- In a metal mixing bowl, whip the whites until stiff peaks form
- Carefully fold in the Parmesan cheese, chives and Canadian bacon
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spoon in 4 mounds of whipped egg whites. Oven-safe ramekins will work well too
- Use a teaspoon and make a deep well in the center of each mound
- Bake at 450 degrees Farenheit for 3 minutes then remove from the oven
- Add one yolk to each well and season with salt and pepper
- Return to the oven and bake until the yolks set. This can take about 2-3 minutes for a soft egg yolk
- Adapted from the Cooking Jar
If you use a ramekin, leave them in the oven for an extra 2 minutes.
You know how I mentioned before that I started looking for healthier alternatives to some of my favorite feel-good food cravings? Well, these babies are IT.
They are light
They are tasty
They are lower in calories than my usual scrambled eggs
They have less cholesterol
They are quick to make
So fun to make
And they are sooo yummy!
In my version of this recipe I used Canadian bacon instead.
Raise your hand if you like making beautiful but quick and easy food? Meeee tooo! Enjoy these Eggs in Clouds and if you forget to eat them because you love admiring how pretty they turned out, then that’s ok too.