Black caviar is not only a delicious delicacy but also a real storehouse of useful elements. It contains many vitamins, folic acid, and fish oil, which are so valuable for health. The high cost of black caviar is primarily due to the disappearance of the sturgeon species from which it is obtained. Fortunately, today black caviar is produced on special farms where these endangered fish species are bred.
To pamper yourself with black caviar, it is better to purchase it in a small package since black caviar is a delicate perishable product and cannot be stored for a long time. And yet, if you bought black caviar and could not immediately eat the entire jar, then you should know how to properly store black caviar.
How do you store black caviar? Black caviar must not be stored in tin containers. It should be put into a glass container and closed with a lid or covered with a cling film. The optimum temperature for storing black caviar is -4°C. Do not freeze caviar, or the eggs will burst, which will have a negative effect not only on the appearance but also the caviar taste.
- Caviar is stored in glass containers longer than in tin ones. For example, caviar in a glass jar will stay fresh for 3 months at a temperature of +4°, while it will only last for 2 months in a tin container. Therefore, if you intend to store caviar for a long time or buy it as a gift, it is better to choose glass.
- You cannot store caviar in an open metal container after opening it, as the metal is quickly oxidized. As soon as you open the tin, caviar must either be eaten immediately or put into a plastic/glass container. It is convenient to have a special caviar dish for this case.
What temperature should caviar be stored at? Caviar should be stored at a temperature of -4 to -6 degrees Celsius. The caviar should not be placed in the freezer. At low temperatures, the eggs burst, the consistency and taste change. The shelf life of caviar, packed in an airtight container, is about 12 months.
Store caviar next to the back wall of the refrigerator, where the temperature is zero. Do not store the delicacy on the door since this is the warmest place in the fridge. Even if the expiration dates are acceptable, check the lid for swelling before use. Do periodic checks during storage.
- You can find out the shelf life of black caviar from the information on the package. Also, manufacturers often add temperature and storage conditions to the information. Usually, in a closed jar, the product is stored for 8—12 months, and in an open one for 3 days.
- Caviar in an opened jar must be eaten within 3 days. At the same time, it must be transferred to a glass container that is suitable in size, tightly closed with a lid and sent to the refrigerator.
- In a glass container with a sealed (rubberized) lid, the shelf life of black caviar in the refrigerator is 2 months. It is important that the lid is always tightly closed.
- Storing black caviar without a tin jar at home is limited to three months. And ideally, use it within 1 month from the date of purchase. If you store this product for a long time, its taste will change, and it will become unsafe to eat it.
Black caviar is an expensive delicacy. If caviar is not stored properly, it will go bad in two-three days. If caviar has acquired a pungent, unpleasant odor, it has gone bad and should be thrown away immediately, otherwise, it will lead to food poisoning.
How to Store Opened Caviar
If you opened the caviar container, you need to transfer it to a clean glass or plastic container. Firstly, pour 1-2 tablespoons of refined vegetable oil into the container. Put the caviar in this container. Close the container tightly with a lid without an air gap. Place the container closer to the back of the refrigerator. It is not recommended to store open black caviar for more than three days.
How long and at what temperature should caviar be stored? In closed jars and at temperatures from 0 to minus 4 C, caviar can be stored for months, but as soon as you open the lid, the caviar inevitably begins to oxidize. That is why opened caviar will keep fresh only for three days.
Unopened caviar lasts for 9-12 months at a temperature from 0 to minus 5°C, 2-3 months at a temperature of 3-5°C.
Does refrigerated caviar go bad? Refrigerated caviar does not go bad as long as you keep the caviar next to the back wall where the temperature is the lowest. Do not store caviar on the door of the fridge because temperature changes will make the caviar go bad quickly.
Freezing Black Caviar
Is it okay to freeze caviar? It is not okay to freeze caviar because this will lead to the eggs bursting. After that, the eggs will stick to each other and will turn into a mashed substance with no taste or smell. Freezing caviar will also eliminate all the useful properties and vitamins of the caviar.
If you decide to freeze caviar, you can do this only once. Repeated freezing will lead to the formation of a gray unappetizing mass instead of individual shiny eggs. Here is how to freeze caviar properly:
- Divide the caviar into several small portions and defrost the required amount as needed;
- Pour a teaspoon of any vegetable oil into each container, close hermetically;
- Use the fast freeze mode so that large ice crystals do not form;
- Maintain a constant low temperature.
How long can you freeze caviar? If you follow all the caviar freezing recommendations, you can freeze caviar for up to 24 months. However, you must defrost caviar properly to keep its taste and appearance. Put the container with caviar in the refrigerator for 10-12 hours. And only then complete the defrosting process at room temperature.
When transporting black caviar, it is better to provide additional packaging in the form of a thermal bag with a refrigerant element or a thermal bag. When flying over a long distance, take caviar in your carry-on because the temperature in the luggage compartment of an aircraft is always lower than in the cabin.