14 Nov is celebrated as Children’s day in India to commemorate the birthday of our Former Prime Minister Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru who is fondly called Chacha Nehru by children. Several programs are organized in schools and in residential societies to have fun and spread the joy in children. There is no teaching in schools on this day and children attend cultural programs conducted by teachers.
Kids come home early from school with a huge appetite. They do not want the regular stuff prepared at home. They want royal treatment as it is their day, so moms get ready and surprise your kid with this sweet that will bring a big smile on your kid’s innocent face.
All sweets are prepared in the name of kids and in fact the boxes are emptied by older kids and elders. For a change let them too enjoy this special day with a treat. Let us go thru’ the ingredients required to prepare Nan Katai.
Nan Katai – Indian Butter Cookie Recipe
- Maida / All Purpose Flour: 1.5 cups
- B.Rawa / Sooji: 3 tspn
- Chana powder / Chick pea flour: ¼ cup
- Ghee / Butter: ¾ cup
- Sugar: ¾ cup (powdered)
- Elaichi / Cardamom: 5 nos (powdered)
- Vanilla Essence: ½ tsp
- Baking powder: ½ tsp
Optional – For decorating the nan katai: Cashew, Badam/ Almonds, or Pistachio ( chop into fine pieces)
- In a vessel mix ghee / butter, powdered sugar, vanilla essence .
- In another vessel mix all the powders: Maida, Sooji, Chana Powder, Elaichi powder, baking powder. You can sift the ingredients through a sieve to ensure uniformity of baking powder in the flour.
- Now add the mixed powders into the first vessel containing ghee / butter mixed with powdered sugar. Mix till it becomes a soft dough.
- Grease the baking tray with ghee/ butter.
- Make small balls of the dough and flatten it a bit. Place the flattened dough rolls on the plate.
- Maintain distance between the katai rolls.
- Decorate with the chopped cashew nut / badam / pistachio and place the tray for convection baking at 150 deg c for 35 mins.
- Non katai- Indian Butter cookies are ready. Serve it when it has cooled down.
You can store Indian butter cookies in air tight containers for 30 days.
As you can see, Nan katai is easy to prepare, requires less time and effort and therefore ideal for travel, birthday parties, kids gathering, so I strongly recommend you make it the next time you are craving something sweet and rich.